Saturday, September 27, 2008

So far this semester

I'm not even going to try to catch anyone reading this up with life since my last LJ post (roughly 5 months ago!). However, there have already been a series of weird/ noteworthy events since I returned to Shantou almost a month ago. Therefore, so far this semester, I have....
  • Resettled into the apartment, first with Jamin as a very temporary roommate and now with Daniel (only slightly less temporary)
  • Been sad that Bucket (the kitten rescued last semester) had been adopted
  • Been reunited with Bucket for the semester (his new pet human not having factored in the roommate issue when she took him home)
  • Met 7 new ELC teachers, all of whom are nifty colleagues
  • Returned to Xiamen (I went last semester with Philippe and his parents) with 2 of the new group and spent 3 days between the beach and the non-Shantou scenery- it was awesome!
  • Gotten 2 leg massages
  • Eaten long awaited sushi (far too expensive in Paris)
  • Taken part in Freshman Orientation, complete with "Going to the Movies" skit and the Hokey Pokey
  • Graded 87 oral placement tests and over 100 written placement tests, some of which were pretty entertaining and others really impressive
  • Have become a level coordinator, which just means I have to send more emails than a regular level person
  • Celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival, Chinese-style, by eating mooncakes and youzi (kinda like a cross between an apple and a grapefruit) and staring at the moon
  • Have had 2 meetings for English Festival and still no decided list of universities who will come compete
  • Have prepared and taught 2 sets of classes (and really should get on with planning prep 3 since I teach it in 24 hours)
  • Have met, taken pictures of, read quick bios about and assigned homework to 105 new students (there might be 3 more at some point)
  • Have had at least 4 students confused about the homework
  • Have been to EL where I was interrogated about my dislike of beer, my hometown (France...), introduced to Haerbin, asked about the meaning of my Chinese name (then asked again right after I had answered- it means "delicate/ skillful cloud), had someone snap his fingers at me to get my attention and where it was explained to me by a confused student that because his computer is old, if he looks things up on the internet, he'll get less good results than if he uses a new computer (whaaat?!)
  • Have booked tickets to Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou for my October vacation (starting tomorrow night, already!)
  • Made several trips to Wal-Mart, land of the laowai
  • Blended several recipes together to make a new one for Roasted Red Pepper, Onion and Tomato Quiche for a pot-luck
  • Hosted said pot-luck
  • Swum in both the pool and reservoir
  • Been creeped out by a freshman called Benz.
I think that's it! Oh yeah, and...
  • Procrastinated away significant parts of my time since I started teaching by doing "useful things" like setting up mail forwarding and this new blog....

No comments: