Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Chinese idea of utopia

I just got back from a whirlwind tour of Hangzhou, Suzhou and Shanghai in about 6 days. I'll post more about it in the next couple of days when it's not really late, but I wanted to mention something I encountered when wandering through the Shanghai Museum (awesome museum, by the way, and worth the incredibly long wait in "line") that really struck me:

A Chinese painter's works are exhibited in the Painting Gallery and one is a representation of his idea of utopia. It's a landscape completely devoid of people. There are mountains, trees, a river, probably a few fish, but not a single human.

I'm not going to lie, after a week of being shoved, stared at, honked at, almost run over, squeezed between people with varying levels of concern about their personal hygiene and of getting angry at the rudeness of Chinese people to each other (a few were yelling to each other during a traditional opera performance in a garden in Suzhou- squeeky Chinese singing + squeeky instruments + yelling over it= my personal aural hell), my utopia would definitely also be "people-lite". I wouldn't necessarily ban all people from it, but they'd have to take a test before getting in!

No comments: