Friday, October 10, 2008

The Cellist of Sarajevo, take 2 (now with musical accompaniment)

And here are the results of my students' second attempt at creativity:

Class 1: This piece of music makes me think of Prison Break. It tells the story of Michael Scofield and [someone] escaping from prison in Panama. As they are running away, the police shoot at them and [the other guy] is wounded. Scofield stops running to help him but [a third guy] is still trying to escape and yelling"run, run". Scofield is sitting holding [the wounded guy] who decides to try to make it even though he is hurt really badly. As Scofield supports him and they try to escape, Scofield also gets shot and they both die.

I don't watch Prison Break, but am told that the chances of Scofield getting killed are very slim. I also, obviously, have no idea who the other people are!

Class 2: This makes me think of an old man thinking about his life. He is sad, like the music is sad. Sometimes he thinks of a good memory and the music is a little happier. But most of the time it is sad.

Not bad, but very 'detail-lite'.

Class 3: I don't know. It is a sad music [sic]. Maybe it is about people dead in a war.

Yes... that would be sad... Almost 7 minutes of music and noone could provide more than "it is sad". That makes me sad!

It is a good piece though (by David Wilde, performed by Yo-yo Ma) and I highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who like sad cello music!

No comments: